This Leek & Potato soup is a perfect meal for those chilly winter days when you don’t feel like cooking but you are craving a home cooked meal.
3 tbsp butter or butter substitute
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
3 cups leeks (2-3 stalks), diced
1 cup celery (3-4 stalks), diced
1 cup or 1-2 carrots, diced 2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Yukon Gold potatoes, washed & diced
1 tsp course sea salt
4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp of flour
4 cups water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Pepper and salt to taste
1. In large pot melt 2 tbsp of the butter and heat oil over medium-high heat; saute leeks and garlic until leeks are soft and slightly brown.
2. Add in celery, carrots, potatoes, salt, thyme and bay leaf, cook for 3 minutes
3. Move the veggies to one side to allow enough room to melt the 1 tbsp of butter; when butter has melted, add 1 tbsp of flour and cook for 3 seconds before mixing with veggies.
4. Add water, turn heat up and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
5. Remove bay leaf and thyme springs.
6. To puree the soup you have two options:
Option 1: Using an immersion blender, blend the soup mixture until smooth and creamy.
Option 2: Let the soup cool down first; in batches in blender, puree soup until smooth and reheat.
7. Season with salt and pepper. 8. Sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese.
NOTE: Makes 7 cups.
TIP: Dice the veggies small so they cook faster – approximately the size of a dime.